Friday, September 28, 2012

Oh c'mon lurking lurkers... your advice please!



ALSO. Go to this tumblr of amazing things. She pairs lines from books with TV shows of today, and it  works so awesomely well. Very cool.

And it looks like I'll be full time next semester due to a maternity leave (not mine, haha, one I'm covering)  AND I get to teach a young adult literature course! OH YEAH, I SAID IT. And we get to DESIGN IT, YO.  Another teacher and I are going to team teach-- she's going to do children's lit, and I'm going to hit young adult. I'm thinking some John Green, maybe some Hunger Games, and we're going to find out if we can do Harry Potter. Oh, and The Outsiders!

Any suggestions, leave them in the comments. I'm thinking I should look at high school required reading and avoid any YA on those lists, you know like Catcher in the Rye, Lois Lowry, A Wrinkle in Time... they will have read most of that. I am the go to girl for amazing off the grid YA literature.

Separated this out because there are a few other people who happen by on occasion and I'd like to hear their thoughts... if they happen by...

p.s. I was in a meeting with associate professors and the chair of the department when this fell into my lap, and we were discussing whether Harry Potter could be considered, and I said, out loud, filter off, "Wait, this is my job? Like you want to pay me for this?" Thank goodness they just laughed, not knowing I totally meant it and would design and teach this class for FREE.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I would love to have been able to take a class like that!!

    Let's see.... I would consider the If I Stay/Where She Went duo by Gayle Forman. Maybe the His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I absolutely adore The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta.

    A book I was obsessed with in high school: Rats Saw God by Rob Thomas.

    I'd wonder if a lot of the kids haven't already read The Outsiders? I know I read that in high school English, but I was in the advanced class so I'm not sure everyone did.

    If you want to hit up the Dystopian that's been a big thing lately, either Legend by Marie Lu or Divergent by Veronica Roth may be good choices besides Hunger Games, if you want to go less beaten path.

    The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness is also good, or his other book A Monster Calls, which I looooved.

    Okay that's probably enough recs, ha! You'll have to post what ones you end up doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about The Outsiders, probaby true for most of Lois Lowry too. I'm going to find the most common reading lists for high school English and maybe use that as a "don't-go-there" list.

      Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking I'll incorporate some short stories in there too. Oooooh, Megan McCafferty maybe...

      Delete
  2. I really like the Book Thief and Chaos Walking series is pretty good too.

    For dystopians, Unwind by Neal Shusterman is interesting and really creepy. Also, Adaptation by Malinda Lo just came out a few weeks ago. It's kind of science fiction but also has an authentic young adult voice.

    I also really like Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers. It's about a girl trying to deal with her father's death. Sad but very good.

    Maybe try a Sarah Dessen too, they are usually popular. I like The Truth About Forever best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told The Book Thief several times-- I'm going to have to read it, like now. It's one of those I keep meaning to pick up, but then something shiny and not so sad catches my eye. Because I know it's going to be sad.

      Sarah Dessen is another one I know I should read, and I like Courtney Summers. I've actually got her new one This is Not a Test on my bed waiting its turn in the current rotation of unread books.

      Delete
  3. For more serious YA, I like Robert Cormier and Beth Goobie. My favourites are "Before Wings" by Beth Goobie and "I Am the Cheese" by Robert Cormier.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.