Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Looking for a Good Story

I always thought of myself as the type of reader that would read just about anything. However, a recent post to my facebook asking for reading recommendations had me realizing that I am actually quite a picky reader. I don't like Christian fiction or self help; I don't like non-fiction as a general rule, though there are rare, occasional exceptions to this rule; I don't like historical fiction, and I loathe straight up romance.

I think my main favorites are well written mainstream literary fiction, like Pulitzer Prize winners; horror, though I can't seem to find any I like other than Stephen King; I like young adult, supernatural and mainstream; some chick lit; ghost stories, which I think of as their own category, separate from supernatural and horror; and a few thriller/mystery types. I don't usually like high fantasy or books in which a child dies or is lost.

The thing about this-- there are exceptions to all of these. I like C. S. Lewis, a Christian writer. I like Jane Austen-- romance if there ever were romance.

Anyway, I finished the latest Stephen King book, and I'm scouring listmania tonight on Amazon. It's weird to feel like I've read everything in my favorite genres, when I KNOW that's not even close to kinda sorta possible.

2 comments:

  1. WHY DON'T YOU READ JONATHAN STRANGE WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU.

    (Yes this occurred to me between the email and now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leif Enger. Do it now.

    Also Ron Rash. Charles' Portis /Gringos/.

    C'mon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.