Monday, October 17, 2011

On editing, revisions, and just vomiting on paper

Because this is the way it is. But that doesn't mean I like it.

I am writing my first draft, and am already having a horrible time ignoring the editor in me. I mean, the editor will definitely come out when the time is right, but the time is all wrong right now. I get something down, and I like it, but my editor in his grizzled old man voice says "It wouldn't happen like that" or "This is a snooze fest." the kinds of things that should happen in rewrites, because writing in a vacuum, just locking yourself in a room with one page of work means it will develop and polish and change, but then that piece of work exists in a vacuum so completely removed from the rest of the work. It just makes more sense to get the whole thing down before I start taking it apart again.

I think this will be very hard for me. In fact, it already is. It's starting.

And I just want to add that I am writing this on total Ambien. Because I took the pill and was going to lie down, but then wanted to write this down. Writing it down may help me avoid that story-killing-edit-as-I-go thing I do.

Next time I'll write about how when I take Ambien, The words and pictures on my computer become 3D. I feel like I'm seeing farther into the screen to where the words started. Each template sort of separates.

I want stars and a reason to look up with you.

1 comment:

  1. This is all good until "Each template sort of separates," then I don't understand it. Well the last sentence is good too.

    *feels the need to edit your Ambien writing*

    You know what was a lifesaver when it came to forcing down my first draft, no edits? This.

    Insanely expensive for what it is, but I got a refurbished one for $60-80. Still pretty expensive...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.