Monday, August 8, 2011

Of Plans and Lists


I love having a plan. When I don't, when I'm sort of drifting through life, I get depressed. And I love making plans-- from the minutest of things like "What to Clean Today" to MY FUTURE, written just like that at the top of a paper, all white and ready for my brilliance.

Like now, I just pulled up my calculator on the computer, decided that I should finish grading papers by next Sunday, which gives me 6 days to grade 60 papers. That's ten papers a day, which is completely doable in two 5 paper chunks. Now, I have done this sort of calculation many, many times over the years, and I don't believe I've EVER actually followed through on it. I'll grade a few then end up spending an all nighter making sure they're done before it's too late.

But it sure feels good to have a plan.

My plan for this year? Go to department meetings at the university I'll be adjuncting for, get to know the faculty there; apply for my PhD, preferably at more than one university.

I'm a listmaker who rarely follows her lists, and that's... okay.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.