Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Low Carb Lasagna in Pictures


I love cooking lately. Wish I had more time to do it. I do plan to roast tomatoes either tonight or tomorrow, but haven't gotten to it yet. That just sounds so delish.

Sliced my zucchini lengthwise, since the point is for the strips to act as the noodles of this lasagna. If you're wondering why I'd go to all this trouble to get rid of noodles-- it's South Beach and trying to find the least carby recipes possible. I sauteed the zucchini in olive oil with a little reduced fat parmesan to soften them up a bit and add flavor.


For the ricotta part, I used low skim ricotta cheese and added fresh basil and chopped tomatoes

While I was getting all of the other stuff ready, I was browning the ground turkey. I added previously sauteed red and green peppers and red onion to it. Once it was all cooked, I put in about 1/4 a jar of Ragu Alfredo sauce. The alfredo is in place of the traditional red sauce, as again, way fewer carbs this way. But I didn't add a ton since it's such a rich combination with the ricotta.

I used tomatoes in all stages to try to break up the rich cheesy Alfredo thing I had going on. They made a nice garnish on top too. I used two whole Roma tomatoes.

And the finished product, half gone: YUM.


I also put in a layer of fresh basil with the zucchini to help create some firmness. If I made it again, I would either omit the turkey and go full on veggie or use an extra lean hamburger. I don't know the turkey was just a little off in this. And I might take the time to make my own red sauce-- using a South Beach recipe that keeps it from getting too carby. Red sauce is just better in a lasagna.


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm a big zucchini fan and I'll almost eat basil by itself. I think I'd probably stick with tomato sauce, since I'm doing more calorie counting than carb counting (though still not eating sweets or most processed carbs). So proud of you! And hungry for lunch now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily-- it was yummy. It's the leftovers that make the turkey taste funny, and I have no logical answer for why that would be. I bet you'd love a full on veggie version with eggplant in place of turkey, more peppers and onions. I think that's the route I'll take next time.

    Yeah, I have to count carbs since I'm "pre-diabetic" as the doctor put it. Carbs are a diabetic's enemy. South Beach is low carb or healthy whole grain and fruit carbs, which I love. I've lost about 30 lbs so far, though I'm pretty sure I gained back at least 5 during the holidays. Back on the wagon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.