Sunday, August 29, 2010

TV?

Can TV improve your writing?

Absolutely, if it's The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or (apparently) Breaking Bad and The Wire. I haven't watched the last two, but I understand from some of my writer friends that the writing in them is amazing.

TV-- especially, oddly, the music over action scenes-- inspires me. I've been watching The West Wing, and I couldn't get enough of it seasons 1-5; however, six kind of lost me. Took me almost the same amount of time to watch that one season as it did to watch the first five. And I'm seriously considering quitting with season seven. I still HIGHLY recommend those first five seasons, and I even feel they wrap up pretty neatly, so that six and seven aren't really necessary to your enjoyment of the show-- I mean, it won't leave you hanging.

Just to clarify, I'm a social conservative and an economic libertarian, so pretty much diametrically opposed to the stance of The West Wing writers, BUT. It's easy to get past that and just enjoy the cadence and chemistry of the show. Those first five seasons are pitch perfect.

So it's winding down, and I'm probably moving on to Breaking Bad next, but I'm always up for shows recommended by writers. They tend to be the best ones.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Mad Men (and Breaking Bad) won those Emmys tonight! Ha, it's the little things that make me happy. :)

    I will be getting on The West Wing soon. I just saw it won 4 Emmys for Best Drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of cannot-for-the-life-of-me, I cannot for the life of me finish the 2nd season of Veronica Mars. I've lost near total interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored season 2 of Veronica Mars-- what a season finale! Seriously, give it a chance to pick up again.

    Season 3, however, was tougher for me. It was like they were trying to change things up so they wouldn't get canceled, and they were an amazing show and should have stuck with their formula because weren't watching the amazing stuff, they weren't going to watch changed stuff, and it just wasted what could have been an good ending to a great show.

    But then, the way we are-- you might really like season 3, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.