Monday, March 29, 2010

Location, location, location

I woke up to snow on Friday. I had to chip the ice off the windshield and give the frozen door an extra yank to get it open. In two days the predicted high is 75 degrees.

And you know what? I love Ohio. I want to find a way to incorporate Ohio into my novel, without it feeling forced. One thing I've learned is that using landmarks in your writing can be touchy; it can come off as cheesy or sentimental.

Any of you tried being specific with setting? Keeping a story in a certain location?

And... if I decide to set my novel in Paris can I write off the trip?

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a lot of stuff in Texas, some early Ares stuff with Chloe. But yeah, that got trashed. Not because the setting was bad though, just the scenes weren't necessary.

    (Which might say something right there. It's not necessary to have scenes on location, so it feels weird.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when it's done well-- especially in a literary novel. Genre, it just takes from the focus, but in literary, good location cues can frame a story.

    But yeah, I don't see it working in your story. Location would detract from story.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.