Friday, March 26, 2010

Craig Russell

My youth pastor, age 48, passed away in his sleep last night. The truth is I haven't seen Pastor Craig in a good 15-20 years, but we'd recently reconnected through Facebook. His updates were always so uplifting. He was a humble man who cracked goofy jokes and was kindness personified.

When I heard... I felt such sorrow. I believe I will see him again, we all will, but I couldn't stop seeing his wife's face. She was very quiet, gracious, always laughing-- that's how I remember her. He had children, all younger than I; I began to cry and even in the privacy of my own home, I felt bad for crying. Who I was to cry, not of the family, not a close friend by any means...

There are lots of good men in the world; there are godly men too; but Pastor Craig had this humility about him, this sweet vulnerability. And I saw Christ in him.

1 Corinthians 15:54-56

54-So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

55-O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

Thank you for your service, Craig. Rest in the Lord tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Mi comment box es su comment box.